Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Wedding Vow Renewal Style

Congratulations to those of you who have decided to renew your wedding vows!  
A vow renewal is a special event that could be as extravagant as a showcase wedding or as simple and sweet as eloping.  What to wear?  Where should it be held?  What type of ceremony or re-commitment ceremony should we have?  What vows should we exchange? These are just some questions that may come to mind when planning your renewal.

On August 14, 2011, my husband, Morty and I renewed our wedding vows after 18 years of marriage.  To suit our style, we decided to renew our vows in simplicity and elegance.



What to wear?  This is one of the most thought provoking questions because you may not want to look like a first-time bride, yet you don't want to look too understated either.  
For my vow renewal I carefully selected my attire for this memorable occasion.


Gown:  Long or short, fitted or full, cream or colored...the list is endless when it comes to deciding what type of gown to wear.  Don't be afraid to try on as many dresses as you'd like to find the fit that's right for you.  Think about the theme, location, and the time of your event.  Most of all be comfortable and remember this is a celebration so have your cake and eat it too!   
I chose a ruched strapless gown by Nicole Miller.  At age 48 and having had four wonderful children, I love ruched gowns because they are very forgiving.  I embellished my ready-to-wear gown by sewing crystals just above the waistline.



Headpiece:  Fascinators and bridal hats are excellent choices for renewals especially for those who prefer not to wear traditional veils.
I decided to wear a fascinator instead of a veil and embellished it with crystals to coordinate with my gown.  www.zmalan.com/bridal-listing

Jewelry:  When it comes to jewelry for this occasion, I'd stick with the less is more rule.
My personal preference is to wear either a necklace or a pair of earrings.  
I wanted a vintage appeal and found these delicate chandelier earrings at Macy's.

Hair and Make-Up:  Ladies this is your day so don't forget to pamper yourself to perfection.
John Bermudez at Creative Hair Spa has been my hair stylist for 20 years and I love his work. No one does a pin-up hairstyle like John!
Robin Lynn Artistry made a house call to do my make-up at 5:00 am and it stayed fresh all day!  Robin's beautiful spirit emanates through her work.


Flowers:  For renewals, I'd suggest a smaller bouquet designed to accentuate your colors.
Blooms on Fifth in Brooklyn did a beautiful job of creating my bouquet right there on the spot. My husband helped me select each bloom and we were pleased with the final results.



Venue:  Location and service is everything.  It could make or break your renewal day.
Morty and I renewed our vows at Mohonk Mountain House, a romantic Victorian castle resort in Upstate New York.  It is one of the most enchanting places I've ever visited.  Aimee Ciarimboli, the wedding sales coordinator at the Mountain House was a dream to work with. She helped to make our day absolutely perfect.  www.mohonk.com/weddings


Renewal Vows and Re-Commitment Ceremony:  Your renewal vows are personal and heartfelt.  You could write, research, or extemporaneously express your vows to each other.
Morty and I chose to speak from the heart during the exchange of vows. 

Children:  Family is everything and including your children in the ceremony helps to solidify your commitment not only to each other but to the family as a whole.  
Our four children and grand-baby-to-be joined us in the Unity Ceremony as we prayed together.



Photographer:  A picture is worth a thousand words.  Choosing the right photographer to capture your momentous occasion is one of the most important decisions you would make.  
We were fortunate to have found photographer, Jean Kallina.  She was professional, made us feel comfortable, and most of all, delivered as promised amazing pictures that still makes us smile as we remember our renewal day.  All the pictures featured in this blog post were taken by Jean Kallina.  www.hudsonvalleyphoto.com/


So as you plan your vow renewal, remember to keep it simple, enjoy every moment, and most of all, do it together for each other!

Cheers,
Z MALAN

Gown:  Nicole Miller
Headpiece:  Embellished by Z Malan  www.zmalan.com/bridal-listing
Shoes:  Kate Spade
Earrings:  Macy's
Bouquet:  Blooms on Fifth  www.bloomsonfifth.com
Hair:  John Bermudez for Creative Hair Spa   creativehairspa1.com
Make-up:  Robin Lynn Artistry on Facebook and Robin_Lynn_Artistry on Instagram
Photographer:  Jean Kallina   www.hudsonvalleyphoto.com
Venue:  Mohonk Mountain House   www.mohonk.com


1 comment:

  1. I am wondering for expert wedding planner who will help and search some best location for vows. Give some good recommendations.

    ReplyDelete